Partition Attorney in Santa Clarita, California

Partition Lawyer Santa Clarita Los Angeles California Attorney Partition Action

Experienced Partition Action Lawyers in Santa Clarita

California partition actions provide a legal mechanism for co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes allow a co-owner to file a lawsuit in court to have the property divided, either physically or by sale. The court will then order the division of the property in a way that is fair and equitable to all parties. The partition statutes also provide that any proceeds from the sale of the property must be divided among the co-owners in proportion to their respective interests in the property. The valuable real estate in Santa Clarita often creates disagreements between co-owners that can only be solved by a Los Angeles partition attorney skilled in the judicial procedures in Los Angeles County.

  • Can I be forced into selling a jointly owned house? Under California’s Partition of Real Property Act, a co-owner will have a right to buyout the property. However, absent a buy out at the appraised price, a plaintiff will likely be able to force the sale of a jointly owned house.
  • What is the timeline for a California partition action? Most partition actions are resolved in 3 to 6 months by way of settlement. Other cases can take 6 to 12 months to obtain an interlocutory judgment of partition, which generally appoints a referee to sell the property.
  • What are the different types of partition in California? Almost all partition actions are partition by sale, though partition in-kind allows the property to be divided, while a partition by appraisal allows the purchase by one-co-owner at an appraised value.
  • How long will it take for the plaintiff to receive his or her share of the sales proceeds? Usually, the property is marketed for sale or purchased by the defendant in 3 to 6 months. If a referee is appointed, that may take 6 to 9 months. With proper drafting of an interlocutory judgment of partition by sale, the referee can be required to disburse the proceeds promptly at the close of escrow or shortly thereafter.
  • How to force the sale of jointly owned property? A partition action is the only statutory method to ensure the end of the co-ownership dispute.

Los Angeles, Partition Action, Attorney, Lawyer;

Partition Actions in Santa Clarita

Partition actions are common in the City of Santa Clarita.

Santa Clarita was first inhabited by the Tataviam people, who lived in the area for thousands of years. The first Europeans to explore the area were members of the Portola Expedition in 1769. The expedition was led by Gaspar de Portola, who named the area “Santa Clarita” after Saint Clare of Assisi. In 1842, the area was granted to the Rancho San Francisco, a Mexican land grant. The area was then settled by ranchers and farmers, who established the towns of Newhall, Saugus, and Mentryville. In 1987, the City of Santa Clarita was incorporated, combining the communities of Newhall, Saugus, and Valencia. The city has since grown to become the third-largest city in Los Angeles County.

Santa Clarita includes the zip codes of 91350, 91380, 91382, 91383, 91390.

Partition Actions Under California Law

Cathcart v. Redlands Sec. Co.

In the legal case of Cathcart v. Redlands Sec. Co., 67 Cal.App.2d 591 (1945), the issue of partition was at the center of the dispute. The plaintiff, Cathcart, owned a parcel of land with two other individuals, and the defendants, Redlands Security Company, held a mortgage on the property. Cathcart sought to partition the property, but the defendants argued that the partition would be detrimental to their security interest. The court ultimately held that the partition could not be denied, but that the defendants had the right to be compensated for any damages that might result from the partition. The court also held that the defendants had the right to be heard on the issue of damages before the partition was allowed to proceed.

Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Santa Clarita, California

Contact Experienced Partition Attorney Scott Talkov

(661) 999-3300

Experienced California Partition Attorney Serving Santa Clarita

When faced with a disagreement with your co-owner regarding the sale of your property in Santa Clarita, our partition attorneys in Los Angeles County are here to safeguard your rights and expedite the resolution process through court intervention. With extensive expertise in resolving co-ownership disputes in Santa Clarita, California, we can assist you in unlocking the value of your property. To schedule a complimentary 15-minute consultation with one of our dedicated partition attorneys at Partition Los Angeles, simply reach out to us via phone at (661) 999-3300 or complete an online contact form.

Our Santa Clarita partition attorneys also serve the nearby areas of Valencia, Saugus, Newhall, Canyon Country, and Stevenson Ranch.